Dehumidifier fire at Fargo home causes thousands in damages

Photo by: WDAY Radio Staff
Photo by: WDAY Radio Staff

(Fargo, ND) -- There were no injuries reported after a fire at a home in North Fargo late Sunday afternoon.

The Fargo Fire Department tells WDAY Radio it responded to a report of a structure fire at 1137 8th Street North, just East of NDSU, at 3:55 p.m. The caller reported that heavy black smoke was coming up from the basement of their house, but they did not know what was on fire.

The first arriving crews reported black smoke from floor to ceiling on the main floor. Three people in the house were leaving with their pets as the fire department arrived.

Crews were able to put the fire out within six minutes of first arriving on the scene. The fire damage was limited to a dehumidifier and a water filtering system near the dehumidifier in the basement. However, the bulk of what burned was plastic, which released large quantities of black, sooty smoke throughout the home. The fire department used ventilation to clear the smoke out as quickly as possible but it is likely the smoke damaged many of the items inside the home.

An initial dollar estimate to replace the belongings is $10,000, and no residents were displaced. The brand of dehumidifier involved in the fire was recalled in 2013 because they were involved in numerous fires. The dehumidifiers are labeled under many brand names but are made by Gree.

The department released some quick facts about the dehumidifier found:

  • Gree made and recalled 12 brands of dehumidifiers
  • Anyone using these dehumidifiers needs to stop using them
  • A list of the brands made by Gree that are being recalled can be found on the  U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission’s website here

Fargo Fire Department responded with 16 personnel on five apparatus. Fargo Police Department and Sanford Ambulance were also on scene to assist.